I am 0-2 in Winners Picks so far this year. Nonetheless, I was pleased with the quality of competition last night in the Bluegreen Vacation Duels.
Here are three reasons why:
- Few wrecked racecars.
- The new aerodynamics package made the racing better.
- Passing was possible.
Last night’s races, however, were a small sample size for what we’ll see on Sunday. Thus, I am nervous about the speed the Toyota Racing drivers presented. After the Dominance the Ford teams and Hendrick Motorsports showed in particular, I do not predict a Toyota driver will win. Also, Stewart-Haas Racing and Leavine Family Racing will struggle because they have a rookie on their roster. So we’re left with Chip Ganassi Racing, Hendrick Motorsports, Roush Fenway Racing, and Team Penske.
- Byron and Logano won their respective Duel races.
- Chip Ganassi Racing drivers Chastain, Larson and Kurt Busch will start inside the Top-20.
- Jimmy Johnson has a fast car and the most experience of the Drivers who will start inside the Top-10.
I do not think its impossible to have a semblance of belief Johnson will win the Daytona 500, but I am revising my pick to Logano.
My updated roster will be
- Ricky Stenhouse Jr./JTG Daughtery Racing 1st
- William Byron/Hendrick Motorsports 4th
- Joey Logano/Team Penske 3rd
- Ryan Newman/Roush Fenway Racing 7th
- Erik Jones/Joe Gibbs Racing/14th
Garage Driver: Cole Custer #/Stewart-Haas Racing 12th
Bonus: Logano (Stage One), Newman (Stage 2), Logano (Race Win), Ford (Win Manufacturer)